Sunday, April 11, 2010

War Eagle Mill

I am in love with War Eagle Mill. It's not all that far from town, but a visit here feels as if you stepped back in time. The Mill has 170 years of history including treacherous times of fire, flood, and war. It has been destroyed and rebuilt several times, and luckily it still stands with its original integrity today. It is the only working mill in Arkansas, powered by an eighteen-foot waterwheel. Inside, visitors can see the mechanics of the milling firsthand as corn and wheat are ground into flours and mixes. Best yet, you can buy the products they make right there! All too often we buy food with no idea where it came from or how it was produced. Buying grains from War Eagle Mill, however, makes me feel good about my purchase. I trust the process, the product, and it feels good to support this business. War Eagle Mill is also USDA certified organic as they maintain the nutrients of natural and organic grains as they process them.

If you live nearby, consider stopping by War Eagle Mill during part of your regular commute. I often make the drive from the south side of Beaver Lake (Hindsville) to the North side (Garfield), but the drive is hard to tolerate. Recently, I found that taking Route 303 (which runs past the Mill) is by far more scenic and even a bit quicker than driving all the way over to 71B.

Even though I am no fan crossing bridges (I have this fear of them collapsing), I enjoy driving over this one lane structure; there's not many places where one can even find a one lane bridge. If you can't make the visit (shame, shame) you can shop online at http://www.wareaglemill.com/. Shipping is free on orders over $70. I recommend paying just a slight bit more for flour in the cute cloth bags instead of the plastic because you can hang it up as decoration in your kitchen when you are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment