Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bull Shoals/White River State Park

I love the warm, comfy bed of a nice hotel. However, when you are on a budget, sometimes a few nights in a hotel just aren't an option. Enter: campsite. I've always thought of camping as the reason for a trip, such as, "I'm going camping." However, when I wanted to visit the White River at Bull Shoals two weeks ago, I chose camping as my means for sleeping. Yes, it sounded fun, but it was more compeling because it was only about $8/night.

I stayed at the Bull Shoals-White River State Park. Here, you can bring an R.V. or tent, but you can also rent an R.V. or an already-assembled camp site. The people next to us slept in their car, so I guess you can sleep however you like. I really only used the campsite to sleep, but there was a lot to do there. They have volleyball and basketball courts, trails, and best of all, the park is located right on the river bank. There is a boat ramp as well as boat, canoe, and kayak rentals. The water happened to be really low this visit, so there were a lot of people wade fishing right in front of the campgrounds. If you prefer to just view the river, there are several cozy wooden porch swings facing the water (take note couples and kids).

It was so much fun to come back from fishing all day to grill burgers and eat s'mores (try cookies and cream chocolate mmm). Even though it was absolutely freezing (I mean I was shaking all night and slept with the sleeping bag literally over my face), I wouldn't have traded it for a plush hotel room. At least not this trip. I found that taking the cheaper/more rugged option can prove to be more fun! Besides, after being couped up inside all winter, sleeping outside was just what I needed.
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/bullshoalswhiteriver/

No comments:

Post a Comment