Saturday, March 27, 2010

Monte Ne Inn

Monte Ne Inn is no secret to many long-time Northwest Arkansas locals. However, I always tend to forget it's there. Normally when I am thinking of somewher to eat, my mind races to downtown Fayetteville or restaurant row in Rogers. Monte Ne is, well, in no such place. Drive a few miles east of the New Hope Road/71B intersection in Rogers, and you will stumble upon a modest stone building...with a full parking lot across the street.  

There's one main reason to eat at Monte Ne Inn--fried chicken. In fact, I thought the name was Monte Ne Chicken up until I really paid attention. If you don't want fried chicken, go somewhere else. Normally, I am a clean and well-mannered eater. When I ate there last night, I picked every little crispy fried piece off the bones with my bare hands and licked the crumbs off my fingers. I was in a fried chicken daze in which I was oblivious to all else in the room except the golden-brown piece of poultry calling my name from my plate.  

What's really cool about Monte Ne is that it is served family style like the way one would eat at home. The waiter starts you off by bringing over a kettle of bean soup from which you ladle out your desired amount. From my experience, some people find it a little bland, but I love it. Then, you are brought bowls of veggies and chicken, which you pass around and take what you want. There is also home baked bread and apple butter (mmmmm). The vegetables don't win me over, but like I said, you go to Monte Ne Inn for the chicken. Cost is $9.58 per person (all you can eat) plus extra for all white meat, homemade desserts, and drinks. Reservations are highly recommended. Oh yes, and don't forget to people watch.



No comments:

Post a Comment